Monday, December 7, 2009

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2009 (Terence)

This year, I came in at 4h48min and was 25 min off my previous year’s pace and 17 mins slower than my 2007’s. At 20km, I was exactly 2 hour into the race – faster than my last year’s split. After 25km, my legs started to feel crampy and tight. After exiting East Coast Parkway at 30km, I was struggling and my speed dropped to 8kph. Slightly later, I saw Jeff passing me and he was looking strong and steady pushing Yuan Ping along. At 32km (Stadium drive), I decided to take off my shoes and ran the rest with just my socks – it was a relief (I fell in love running barefoot but my soles can’t last more than 10k). In fact, at around 25k, a barefoot runner overtook me with steady pace (I want to do that one day - run a marathon barefoot!). Somewhere around Geylang, David Tan passed me.

On hindsight, I may have pushed too hard in my first half, causing too much lactic to build up. Though I clocked 1-2 more long run this year, overall I did less weekday runs. I am trying to learn from the experts here in this forum if it’s better to do more frequent short run e.g 10k five times a week versus 10+10+30k. Which is better? Any advice will be appreciated.

Terence

No comments: