Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ironman Western Australia 2009 (Bernard Tay)

Thanks so much for your support and emails! I just got back from Perth today and my bike has arrived home in one piece. Here is just some thoughts about my race for those who might be interested to take up the challenge in subsequent year(s).

I must say I agree with Boon Pin's statement, but unfortunately it was not me doing the killing, this year I got killed! Mainly because of the scortching heat.

In the swim this year I was tangled up with some violent swimmers during the swim leg and got my goggles and cap knocked off twice, as you all know, the Ausies are huge, so when they grab your shoulder or ankle you're put into an immediate reverse gear. Besides the crowd, the water in Busselton was around 20 degrees at the shore and around 15 degrees at the turn around. This proved to be a little concern when I entered transition as my fingers were numb, making it diffcult in putting on my gloves and attire for the bike leg.

The bike leg was pretty smooth sailing apart from the fact that temperatures rose to a high of 34 degrees and wind speed picked up to around 20-30kph. So for those intending to use a disc wheel or anything more then 60mm, hmmm... might want to think twice. Last year I was pushed around with my Hed3c's so this year I brought along a conventional 50mm wheel. I felt that it was a good choice and it paid off espicially on the 3rd loop of the bike when the wind speed picked up a great deal. All in all, I felt great on the bike and was pretty happy to pass some guys on P4C's and disc wheels.

The run in WA is one of the things I enjoyed the most. The scenic view of the ocean and amazing shore line helps to take away the pain of running a 42k after 6+hrs of hard work. The wind during the run can be a significant factor espicially on the out lap (when you are dead tired), however, whatever you get, you get back on the return so it makes for a really fast and fun run. Besides the haze-free and fresh air definitely helps a great deal in making the run just that bit more enjoyable.

All in all the race support (supporters, aid stations, transitions, logistics) can be described with the words of Patrick Vernay, the champion in 2007 and 2009 as "nothing to complain about". Superbly positioned aid stations providing water, electrolytes, coke, cookies, bananas, jelly beans, more water, more bananas, more electrolytes, more coke; stretching over a 50meters long provided more then adequate race support. Sometimes it makes me wonder, am I in an Ironman, or buffetman? During the bike, aid stations were so frequent and ease of getting bidons were so easy that you basically need to carry only 1 water bottle if your plan is to reload every aid station. In addition, the post race tent feels more like the comex expo(size wise), with everything from massage, to places to drink, sit around and off course a buffet table with unlimited drinks and alcohol for the daring.

The cumulation of all these makes WA on of the most enjoyable races I've had, even though I expected a much faster timing this year. For all those who are looking to do it, all I can say is " READY GO!"

No comments: