Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ironman China account by Joe Chua


China Ironman indeed much tougher than Langkawi Ironman.Or maybe i'm not prepare for this race as i train seriously after i registered which was 3 mths before the race.

Swim:
Before race i was undecide wheather to wear wetsuit,reason because i'm a breast stroker,can't do leg kicking underneath water(wetsuit keep body buocy). Wake up 4.30am immediately look out the sky from hotel room,"ho sei liao", see full of starsall over,guess should be warmth weather,so decided no wetsuit! First loop swim was horrible,eventhough i sight every stroke also disorientated,swimmers everywhere,all sweep away by strong current. From 4th buoy to the beach most terrible! after kicking for so long"eh...how come i'm still swimming at th same spot?? 2nd loop i tell myself better swim smart,take short cut,if not i'm sure exceed swim time, so i miss 3rd and 4th buoy,manage to complete 1hr 29mins,haha..my PB!Think i swim only 3.6km.

Bike:
First loop (90km) was ok for me,hydrate myself,1 salt table/hr,1 small banana every aid station. But jus after transition for 2nd loop my right leg cramp up,guess due to hot weather, so add to 2 saltstick/hr. From transition area to U-turn point was my worst ever hit,the extreme hot weather and strong headwind force me down to average 20km/h.Every aid station(Orange tent every 15km apart) i will stop and volunteers will bath me with ice water in order to cool down my body temperature. Every aid station is my target to push me to carry on and not to give up for this race,i read my speedometer every 15km,105km...next 120km..next 135km..on and on always looking far ahead for orange tent. Tailwind from Shi Shan village to bike end 'si bei song!', most of the time can even reach 35-40km/hr.

Run:
Walau, so hot how to run?Caculated i still have 8 hrs for run,so no hurry,take my time,anyway i can't do my PB also.Same plan,bath with ice water every aid station.First 10km realised have blisters on both legs and groin below,walk like 'tao lump par',so just walk and bear with it.The support cheer from volunteers was fanastic,they even request to take pictures with me and ask for my signature on their notebook!Wow...make me feel like i'm a super stars!At that moment pain and suffer is nothing man.. Andrew and Edwin catch up with me at about 20km mark and keep me accompany,3 of us decided to stick to Andrew plan, run 10 lamp post and walk 5 lamp post, in order to reach finishing line on time. At about 35km, so happy to see Mark catch up with us (his 1st Ironman). We knew we are on time, chit-chat all the way,waving to the volunteers and audience,'sie sie','jia you','ni hao'...just like F4 from taiwan. Think we are more famous than them... 4 of us finished the same timing,16.20.59,we feel good at finishing line,we made it!!!!


Summary:
China Ironman toughshit! 40% DNF,i'm glad i can completed.Thank to our chief, coach, and all crazy2tri members, the motivation, encouragement and support from you guys made me finished it! if not i will never complete this Ironman alone.

No comments: