Monday, May 4, 2009

Ironman 70.3 China account by Logan


My race report on swim leg 70.3 IM CHina:

On Race day19 April, Reese woke me before leaving to transition area, it was around 0520 Hrs. Blessed him to have a good race. Went about doing my toiletries and breakfast. 0630 hrs got onto the bus from Royal Spa Hotel to transition site. I have registered for 70.3 IM and I am only allowed into the transition after 0715 Hrs.

The sky was clear and it was beautiful day to start a race not knowing what to expect later in the day. I met and wished our IM kakis from outside the transition site. I saw our strong crazy2tri contenders making their way to the race start: Andrew, Reese, Joe, Mark and Edwin.

0715 hrs, IM China Race started with colourful brief fireworks. Sharon and I watched in awe when a large group of swimmers were swept away just after 250 meters mark from start. I knew it was the current coming from 500 meter buoy to me. I was at 2 o'clock to the 500 meter triangular red buoy. I got very worried for our C2T IMs as there were many swimmers not moving for at least 20 minutes not able to get near the 500 meter buoy. Even the Pros were struggling but they were strong. 40 minutes passed, most of them gave in to
the current and bypass the first point. The next worst point was after passing the 2nd buoy. Many swimmers got pushed further away to the shore 200 meters away from the third floating buoy.

I got back to the transition to prepare myself with full of doubts if I am able to do one loop of swim. Time check was 0815 hrs and the sun was bright and felt the heat coming on. Reminded me of Thailand trip during my NS. I decided not to wear the wet suit since the current is so strong and weather is sensational.

0830 hrs made my way with Sharon to the start point. Got into the water and it was cool. It was around 23 degrees. Did some strokes to warm myself up. Still not knowing what to expect. Planned to head off course towards the floating boat far towards the right . And so did the rest of the participants.

0900 Hrs, Race started. I took the course as planned. I hit the first boat at 200 meters from start. headed for the second boat got swept away towards my left. Saw the first buoy 200 metes away, headed for it. Time check was 0930 hrs still trying to reach the first buoy. 0940 Hrs closer to the same buoy at least 150 meters to go. I looked around briefly could see a few heads heading in the same direction as I was. I cannot see anyone else. I
didn't feel right to bypass the buoy so I kept on going.

0945 hrs the refrees on a water scooter came infront of us and asked to carry on with the swim to the next buoy. It took me only 5 minutes to reach the second buoy, . I was not even swimming. I was trying to get back my breadth and was too tired to swim on. I saw swimmers getting up to the finish and running up to the transition. I realised I was out of time. I perservered and swam hard as I got only 10 minutes before cut off. I reached the the 3 buoy but was never able to move near the last turning buoy. I was in the same situation as I was at the 300 meter spot...fighting current. I saw the last few swimmers heading to shore full of rocks.

1015 Hrs - Finally, I realised I run out of time when I saw the safety boat stopping infront me. The refree signal me to stop and pulled me up to the boat.

lesson learned - Never fight the current and its ok to miss the buoys if you cannot reach it. Always keep watch of where the larger group are heading, which is usually not easy......

Well, I felt dissapointed not completing. However, I will always treasure the experience swimming in the lake in China. The water is fresh and drinkable....nothing happen to me so far...hehehehe

No comments: