Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sundown Marathon : account by Maryanne Wong

Last weekend’s ultra marathon was awesome!

I am certainly one that didn’t prepare enough for 84km.

My longest training distance was only 38km two weeks before race day; after one month break from running due to sprained ankle.

I went on to the race with mixed feelings. I more or less had planned to run/walk from the beginning initially but decided not the waste my energy for the first 42km. I am not sure if anyone could agree or experience the same but I sort of had a hunch that I will do better when enthusiasm level is high as well as with company of a few friends in the beginning of race will somehow get me to a certain good distance before I hit the wall or staggered out to run alone which can jeopardize the focus. If I could maintain a slow and steady run for the first loop, not too much exertion, secure 42km within 5.5 / 6 hrs, I am quite… safe. Afterall, my target was just to finish the race. I mean, I can’t be kidding myself here… this is 84km and I haven’t been training much.

So yeah, that was the mental calculation and that was exactly what I did.

The first loop started off alright, until 20km where I felt slight pain in left ITB. I was worried so kept my foot strike easy and as light as possible. I started to apply heat rub at 30km on left knee and quad just to keep it ok. I enjoyed the part from Changi-East Coast stretch but hated Kembangan-Bedok. Too much concrete, road humps, concrete slabs that made a lot of noise, the park connectors were very narrow. The sandy part in Bedok reservoir was a good break from hard pounding. I like this stretch. Many got sands in their shoes but I was lucky. Then those overhead bridges along Tampines-Pasir Ris stretch. Urrgghhh….they killed my momentum. For all the upward and downward slopes, high and low, I stopped and walked. My idea was, I can be slow but I can’t risk having any cramps. So, slopes – no good - walked. I finished 42km at 6:06.

At the pit stop, I changed into a new pair of socks, downed a pack of endurance drink, snacked half a bar of chocolate chip energy bar and off I go. This time, I ran with a plan 5min run / 2 min walk because I felt tired. However, just as I started the second loop, my legs were really heavy and the thought of another 42km, I started to loose it…..thought I may not make it. I was sleepy too. Thank goodness I saw 2 friends. I stayed with them throughout with 5min run / 2min walk interval. The same applied – slopes - walked. It was a good plan.

At 66km, I felt my legs muscles were pulling and at any moment, I could have cramps all over. I slowed down, walked, relaxed ….. another 18km, I can’t stop or just walk all the way, still too far to finish, too risky. I decided to ‘chase time’, make use of the opportunity before the cramp attack. So, I broke away from my friends. I ran ahead - still on run/walk basis but running slightly faster with smaller steps. The idea is to run as much and make it till 70km, then walk all the way if I must. I managed to keep going without having any cramps till 80km! I was thrilled. That gave me new hope. Empowered again, I ran to the 84km finish line.

The overwhelming ending got me teary, I didn’t see the time on official clock when I passed it.

Preliminary result on Sundown website is 13:42.

My Polar RS200sd clocked at 13:38.

For those who know my love-hate relationship with this running computer, I prayed that it is doing me good at least this time. Overall, I’ve been blessed – went to Chinatown for dinner. No MC on Monday. Absolute blister – FREE ! J

This was physically the longest and mentally toughest but crossing the 84km mark was a lot.. a LOT more sweeter!

Will I do it again? YES… I’m so in love with running J

Thank you for all your support and cheers.

Maryanne

No comments: