Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sundown Marathon : account by Boon Pin and Meng Ee

Just a quick race report from me for my Sundown run with Meng Ee, my visually handicapped partner. I am including him in this email so that he can feel the warmth of the Crazy2Tri family. Meng Ee, meet my buddies. Buddies, meet Meng Ee. :)

Our debut 10.5km run went well, though I was not feeling 100 per cent and I felt the first water point was a bit far away from the start line. Thankfully, it was cool so we didn't feel too parched before getting our first cup of drink.

Though we only started after everyone had crossed the start line to avoid the crowd, Meng Ee was very consistent in his pacing and was able to progressively overtake some sighted runners who were either slower or had stopped to walk before the first water point.

The return stretch just after the road turning into the Desaru ferry terminal (am I right? wasn't able to see very well) was a little rough in that the path was narrow (the so-called seamless paved pathway ended just before the Cargo Terminal) and there was lots of low hanging branches to avoid. Then as we got near the SAF ferry terminal, some parts of the pathway had cracked due to the roots of the trees near those parts, and Meng Ee had to be alert to the sudden dips and bumps.

The next thing we knew, we were at the finish line where I heard briefly the announcer alerting the crowd to a blind runner crossing the line.

What was very gratifying for me was that this was the first time Meng Ee had ever run this kind of distance and yet, lots more left in his tank, so he could have gone on for more. As such, the ending was slightly anti-climatic, as in there was a little bit of a "that's it?" kind of feeling. Heh.

However, we had decided to be conservative in our first run and had estimated a 1hr 30mins timing. To finish about 10 minutes faster without dipping into any reserves was a good way to complete our debut.

Boon Pin Koh 01:21:16.02 00:42:14
Meng Ee Wong 01:21:15.85 00:42:14


We did a quick post-run interview with My Paper to finish off our earlier chat with the paper. Will keep you guys posted when the story runs.

BP

No comments: