Saturday, February 23, 2008

Chris Oh : Langkawi Ironman 08 account

On Thur we did the recce ride on the highway, which is the new route, the hills look bearable. But it was not to be so after 140km, it was really a torture to go up those hills at less than 10km/h.

During the recce ride, I already felt a bit of chest tightness. I thought I was not having enough rest as the night before I had trouble sleeping.

That night, I also did felt a bit of chest pain halfway through the night, but was alright the next day.
On race day, although I did try to sleep early at 9pm plus, but just could not sleep. Must be the race anxiety.

The race started at 745am, everything was smooth. Had a good swim, at turn around at 48 mins, and back at 1hr 29min. Lots of sea bugs and jelly fishes. Strangely not of us got bitten though all of us touched or kicked most of them.

Had a smooth transition, but the HR monitor is not working so I cannot tell my HR. The 1st loop was good, going quite well and feeling ok. Enrikoh passed me on the 40 km and terence on the 80 km. After the 1st u turn, I notice I was going a little too fast, so I slowed down my speed especially on the climb. Then I felt my legs begin to tired, a worrying sign that I might have hit the hills too hard, as I climbing is very lousy. After the 2nd loop Mecca passed me and I was suffering already. I do not have my HR, I do not know how hard I was going. I felt the tightness in the chest again. After the u turn, I could not do deep breathing, every deep breath I did, I felt pain in my chest. By then I was debating within myself should I stop, nevertheless I continued till the 120km mark medical stop. I just rest on the stretcher although the medical staff did asked me if I want to give up. I just told her let me rest a while.
Kok Chin came thereafter, he told me he is having double vision and headache. I did encouraged him to stop as this can be very serious. But he proposed we continue further at a slower pace to see if everything will be ok. So we did just that, ride beside each other for the next 20km before Kok Chin need to stop to bathe his head to stop the headache. At this point I decided we should call it a day.

That is when both of our races end.
Though I am disappointed but I felt I am right to listen to my body. Even before the race, I felt that I am totally not ready for this race and with the current stress at work, it kind of 'damaged' my body and health.

Well, at least I live for another day to try out other races but not IM in the near future as I realised there is not way to go for an IM without proper training and preparation.

Congrats to Terence and Michael who broke their PBs.

Congrats to Hui Ping and Clement who has set their PB, now is for them to break them again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris, we understand your feelings of disappointment but you were absolutely right to have pulled out.

In retrospect, your workload in the office affected your preparations for your second Ironman but the more important thing is that you listened to what your body told you on race day.

We share in your pain but at the same time, are happy that you have returned safely.

As for "want to try other races but not IM", you remember what happened after a certain dinner by the beach in Desaru, right? :)

We look forward to your coming to your senses once you see the group prepping for Ironman China.

Boon Pin